Friday 14 September 2012

Media Consumption

Newspapers

  • If I am using a train or a bus, I will pick up The Sun newspaper. Or otherwise if at home, I will read the local newspaper that comes through the post every week.
  • Well on the first page of The Sun it would have the celebrity gossips, and the page number we can turn to. So I look at the subheadings in which I'm most drawn to and choose that page.
  • The sections that I never read are the ones that don't interest me. Like celebrities I'm not interested in, politics, or news that don't genuinely interest me.
  • The stories I read are shocking ones. That don't happen in every day life. Because, I'm not familiar with these kind of things. And they interest me, and I want to keep on reading it as to why they did something. Or what happened in the end.
  • I don't usually buy newspapers, neither my family. But me and family do if we are travelling a long way.

Magazines

  • I don't usually buy magazines, because I see the gossips and latest fashion online. But if I am shopping and I see magazines I buy them. The ones that I read are; Heat magazine, OK magazine and LOOK magazines.
  • The sections that I read are about, the celebrities and what they are up to. News about fashion, Pictures on celebrities. Or just the clothes that are in now. The ones I'm not keen into reading are sports, or people that I'm not familiar with. And I don't think horoscopes are true.. So I don't read that either.

Television

  • I spend 40 odd hours or so a week watching TV. But it really depends on if I'm out, or have a lot of work to do then its under.
  • In the weekday I watch it 3-5pm. And in the weekend 11-1 or 7-9.
  • The programmes I like best are Eastenders and Midwife-Nurse. Eastenders is interesting because it always has a new twist and keeps me entertained daily. And I like Midwife-Nurse, because I love babies. And it interests me to see how the Midwives help the newly mothers. And how the babies live the first stages of there lives.
  • I usually watch EastEnders and other programmes with mostly my sister. If my mum and dad are free then they watch it with us too. But I watch Midwife-Nurse myself, as the others don't like it as much as I do.
  • We all decide together as a family, because we like watching family films. Or comedy soaps together. So no one decides really, as we have the same taste in most things.

Radio

  • The stations I like the most are; Kiss 100, Capital Fm & Westside Radio. Because they all have the latest music, latest gossip and have latest news about London. 
  • I would say I spend about 55hours listening to the radio.
  • Before I go school 6-8am, when I come back 3-5 and at night, 8-11. 
  • BBC radio ones, because all I hear is the hosts talking about the news. It bores me, also the opera stations, Rock stations. And the ones that are in different languages!
  • If its before and after school me and my sister both put it on loud and listen to it. But if its during the weekend and were all doing work our whole family listens to Capital fm. 
  • I listen to the radio in my room, downstairs in the kitchen, or outside in the garden.
  • While I'm listening to the radio I am usually; getting reading, cleaning, doing work, or in fact dancing to the songs I most enjoy!

Cinema

  • In the last month I have seen The Possession with my best friend, and an Indian film with family friends.
  • I've seen Precious, The Pact, The Hunger Games and Final Destination 3. Through the TV and watching it on-line, on required websites.
  • My Friends and Family watch the films with me.
  • We all decide together depending on the releases or moods that were in.

Internet

  • I access the internet nearly every single day.
  • I access the internet at home, on my laptop or phone and at sixth-form to do my work.
  • It depends, whether it may be doing my homework or watching a film. But other than that Facebook, twitter, emails, you tube.
  • To receive information, communicate with my friends and families. And for entertainment purposes.
  • I listen to music, and go on social networking sites.

2 comments:

  1. WWW: A good account of your media consumption. I'm happy to see that you consume all media available in a variety of ways.

    EBI: I'd like to see you using more media terminology that you have been learning in lessons and using this to analyse your own consumption.

    LR: Research Blumler and Katz’s Uses and Gratifications Theory and apply this theory to each media platform, identifying which use/gratification each platform fulfils for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The theory is more focused on the audience instead of the message. 'what people do with media' The audience plays an active role as they are responsible of choosing media to meet their needs. By seeking out media the person feels it needs to be informed. The media competes against other information sources.
    I think personal relationships is what keeps me interested. If for an example a magazine asks a rhetorical question it makes me want to read it and see if it's true. And it makes me feel as if I'm the magazines friends in a way as we are discussing the source. And it therefore addresses me directly.
    The coverlines on the magazines could interpret the latest albums released and latest news about music so it keeps me updated and informed.

    ReplyDelete